Flips flops are commonly made from cheap plastic or rubber materials; however, the most expensive flip flops are made from luxurious materials and some are even embellished with gemstones and gold.
What are the Most Expensive Flip Flops?
There are several luxury flip flops on the market. Some are made from high end materials such as crocodile and others have extravagant embellishments such as gold or gemstones on them. These flips flops will not be found at stores such as Famous Footwear or online at your favorite sites; instead, they are sold exclusively by the fashion house or at upscale shops.
In 2004, jewelry house H. Stern created and sold a pair of luxury flip flops for the astonishing price of $17,000. H. Stern refashioned a pair of rubber flip flops with straps of 18-karat gold mesh feathers and embellished them with diamonds.
Maybe you want something luxurious but still accessible. At Saks Fifth Avenue, you can choose among several luxury flip flops from designers such as Gucci or Prada. Check out the following:
- Prada Thongs are priced at $360 and made from luxurious leather.
- Gucci Sunset Thongs are made in Italy and are patent leather with goldtone horsebit trim. They are priced at $475.
- Salvatore Ferragamo Logo Thong Sandals are $420 and made in rich Italian leather.
- Giuseppe Zanotti's Wishbone Jeweled Thongs are made in Italy from metallic leather and are accented with Swarovski crystals. They are priced at $550.
At Neiman Marcus you can find several high end flip flops from luxury designers such as:
- Christian Dior Patent Bow Thong comes in fuchsia, black patent or white and is priced at $490.
- Manolo Blahnik's version of a flip flop is a gold nappa leather thong with hash prong-set jewel details and is made in Italy. It is priced at $1,145.
- Giuseppe Zanotti Jeweled Thong has an amber-hued brooch accent on the upper and features goldtone hardware on gold metallic leather. It is priced at $695.
Why Spend So Much
Let's face it; your average shopper is not going to spend tons of money on a pair of flip flops to wear to the beach. The high end luxury flip flops are more for fashion and are meant to be worn and be seen in. If you are looking for attention and want to astonish others on how much you shelled out on a pair of flip flops, then the more expensive the better. But, for the everyday flip flop wearer, there are many practical choices on the market that are both stylish and affordable.